Tuesday 21 August 2012

Lemon and Lime



Lemon and lime; lime cordial with lemonade. A popular non-alcoholic drink.

This was one of my favourite photos for quite a while. I took it in Blackpool in 2005, when we took a group of older people on holiday. I loved those days of volunteering at HUSSO and seeing all the older people. As the years have gone by, many have passed away or have become ill. It's sad, but part of life I guess. I've always been quite close to Eve and Tom. They're a lovely couple. I remember that Tom or Andy's (as Eve calls him) birthday was the day before mine. I remember one year when we celebrated by buying a Chinese takeway and eating it all together. Eve was always the stronger one and looked after Tom. It was hard on her, but she was strong. Since my uni days, I have tried to visit them regularly for a cup of tea and a chat. I've even managed to meet their son Graham who lives in Hull and daughter Von (Yvonne) who lives down south.  I remember the hilarious banter between Eve and Tom; the way that they spoke over each other and 'argued' in such a funny manner.

Tom passed away last year. And Eve moved into a small flat down the road. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't seen her since I went to see her a few days after the news. She's pretty cool on the mobile phone and we've stayed in touch via text message! She told me today that she'd love me to visit and Von would also like to see me, as she was going to be in Hull. I was touched by the message, but saddened to hear that she couldn't walk very far now.

Time really is that precious, it just slips by silently and you can't get it back. You really never know what will happen tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment