Tuesday 18 September 2012

Spicy



The Chinese food found in the UK is generally not spicy. The food that I eat is not spicy.
Tonight's dinner was spicy. 
Observe the use of fresh and dried chillis; observe the AMOUNT of chilli on each plate....
It did taste great though! Amy is a great cook and See Jeat and I are good at eating...however, I can say that it is good way of limiting the amount of food that you eat....it's impossible to eat a lot of it!


I had to drink a lot of this:


Takes me back to four years ago when I went to visit China; Shanghai, Hong Kong and Chengdu. It was quite a trip. Must have jumped onto about 7 or 8 planes in the space of a week. I got my first taste of proper spice in Chengdu....the air smelt of sichuan peppercorns and spice, the food was red from the colour of chilli and I brought home a suitcase full of chilli-smelling clothes, a bottle of the most amazing sichuan peppercorn-infused oil and a newborn enthusiasm for spice. Upon arrival back to the UK, I remember putting copious amounts of dried chilli and sichuan peppercorns into everything I cooked...until one day when my tongue decided to pack it in with the spicyness, and now I cry when I eat even a hint of spice....it's so not fair!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment