Friday 20 July 2012

Sushi



I was just going through a few old photos from this year and found this one. It's sushi, but not quite sushi; I'm pretty sure you won't find this type in Japan.

Anyhow, the people in Hong Kong go crazy for sushi. They will literally queue round the corner of the shop to wait to get in, despite the numerous sushi shops in the city. I've always wanted to go to those sushi shops with the sushi-belts, carrying freshly prepared sushi. I would never be able to choose which one to have. 

I'm not a real lover of sushi. I don't quite get the whole seaweed and vinegar rice thing. But I'll eat it. However, the best thing is the raw fish on top. Oh my days....I could eat plates of sashmi....

I remember this one time when I went back to HK. Someone took me to a rather posh sushi place. They ordered all this beautifully prepared sushi. All with different types of toppings...definately something raw. My friend's favourite is the one with the big fat blobs of orange jelly like thing (no idea what it is, probably some kind of fish egg). Her way of eating it was to pick each one up individually and eat it. She said it was like Nemo. I will never forget that.  

Here in the UK, especially in Hull, we have to make do with making our own sushi. We went through a phase of making it regularly at home may be a few years back. My mum is amazing at rolling the sushi, using our make-shift rolling mat; aka cling film! I just loved eating the filling or the bits left over after you slice the sushi into pieces.   

I remember sushi because I was talking about this to two different people just this last week; one from Iraq and the other from Saudi. I guess it isn't just us Chinese who love the Japanese food!

1 comment:

  1. I love sushi! And I love sashimi too! If you had posted this earlier, maybe I would have arranged to make this when you visit (but as it this, I think next Friday will have too many people for me to make sushi for...another time!)

    ReplyDelete