Tuesday 17 July 2012

Egg Tofu



I'm not a lover of tofu. It's pretty healthy and everything, but it's not really something that I will go out of my way to eat. BUT....egg-tofu is something different. Nothing like tofu, but not quite egg. This is one of the first things that I remember cooking. It comes in a plastic tube and you have to cut through the tube to get the stuff out. Back in the day when I lived in HK fom 1996-97, I remember our small (one person) kitchen and frying these small discs of tofu. That's how I used to cook it....just shallow-fried. The challenge is to fry it till it's cooked, but make sure that the jelly-like tofu does not become a giant blob ('yat pet yeh').I never had the patience to wait and loved flipping the tofu way to quickly.

For some reason, we never seem to eat egg-tofu here in the UK, I only remember eating it quite often in Hong Kong. The other day, I ate egg-tofu with a mushroomy-meat sauce. It was delicious. Proper reminded me of HK.

No comments:

Post a Comment