Saturday 12 May 2012

Salam's 'Chicken and Rice'

So. I'm going to have to cheat a bit here. Have been so busy organising different projects that haven't had time to work on my own. Nevermind. At least I always have some kind of a backup plan. I'm actually going to post some picture that I took back in January 2011 when I first thought about this project. I tried to start it, but never really did much because of the distraction of ''studying'', actually to be honest, it didn't get much further than the first day. I guess this is the reason why this it's I'm excited that it's realy taken off this time round. But, am still hoping that the momentum carries on for a bit longer!

Duhok, Kurdistan


A classic, daily meal of chicken, rice and soup. Easy to make and good to eat. This is something that is eaten regularly in most households. The soup base is very similar, but different vegetables can be used: potato, courgette, beans, chickpeas. One of my favourites is aubergine. The rice should be soaked in water and added to lighly fried spaghetti/vermicelli and left to cook for about 20 minutes. Everyone has a different way of cooking the rice; some boil the rice first and then leave to steam after adding boiling hot oil, some serve the spaghetti/vermicelli separately (tastes good with almonds aswell). Delicious, simple, tasty and homely. 

It actually reminds ME of a few things,....when I was in Kurdistan, I woke up one morning to find everyone preparing 'fresh' chicken, rice, soup. This was because I was due to leave that place early, and wanted me to eat with them. Shows that this meal can be eaten anytime in the day! And also reflects the warm hospitality of the Kurdish people. I've also spent Eid with another family for the past couple of years and this is what they usually eat on the first day of the celebrations. Again simple, but can be jazzed up with a few things such as apricots, almonds and other delights!

No comments:

Post a Comment